Time for the latest monthly recap. First let's look at my net worth.
My total net worth is $346,143 as of the end of August, up just a hair from the end of July, but down from where I was at the end of June. Here's how it breaks down:
Miscellaneous Cash Accounts:
Money Market $17,085
Laundry Quarters $2.25
Misc. foreign currency $30
Treasury Direct $4,482 I haven't updated the value in a couple of months, so this might actually be a wee bit higher.
Estimated home value minus mortgage balance: $83,502 I have not changed the value of my home since buying it, but based on what I've seen going on in my neighborhood, I don't think I need to adjust it downwards.
$204,588 in stocks & mutual funds in 401k and Roth IRA accounts
$8,590 in Roth IRA CDs
Visa $-1,694 as always, my credit cards are paid in full every month.
As for my monthly expenses, August wasn't the greatest month, but it wasn't too bad:
- Housing $1,944. Boy does that seem like a lot, especially compared to my old rent of $850. I keep reminding myself that some of it is going to equity, and also that my property taxes still aren't reflecting an abatement that is supposed to have kicked in, and on top of that, they've raised the escrow amount assuming that the taxes will increase. So fingers crossed that this will all work out someday and my normal housing costs will be a couple hundred dollars less.
- Bank Charge $3.50 very annoying fees for one use of the wrong ATM!
- Business expense $30.85 this will be reimbursed by my company
- Clothing $272.98 I had that end of season desire to buy cheap summer things on sale, which turned into buying new fall clothes not on sale. oops.
- Dining $838.33 this is where I was bad. But I had fun! Just had a much more social month than usual and ate out in restaurants a lot.
- Entertainment $107.03 this again is due to a bit more social activity than is typical for a hermit like me.
- Gifts Given $27.94
- Household $192.55 lots of drycleaning & laundry, and a few small household purchases at Home Depot
- Medical $130.67 basically just insurance and my FSA
- Misc $88.75 of which $80 is a haircut
- Payroll Taxes $1,908.36
- Subscriptions $60.75 internet and daily newspaper delivery
- Travel $431.40 includes the hotel room for a wedding I went to in late July
- Utilities $271.55 telephone was under budget, but the electric bill has been high with A/C running fairly often.